Friday, October 1, 2010

Obligation

As an educator,
I am obligated to fight injustice as I see it in the world around me
I don't tolerate unkindness and I will challenge your hatred
I don't believe in unwillingness to learn about others
In this class you will have to contemplate on your perspectives
I am passionate and opinionated and I want you to find your opinions and passions
But I don't believe anyone should live in any kind of fear
If your opinions and passions hurt others, they are not allowed here
I do not mock someone for being different and I will not allow you to do so either
I will change the way you look at others by forcing you to examine your own opinions
I won't let you hate others in my classroom and I will challenge your assumptions
I don't care if he looks different or if she talks different
I don't care if she isn't like you or he isn't your friend
You cannot judge that person here, this classroom is a safe place
If you want to hate, you'll have to find somewhere else to go
I am against intolerance here and you won't be allowed to ruin anyone else's dreams
I am an educator and I'm fighting injustice and no, I'm not sorry

No comments: